Friday, March 9, 2012

My New (Old) Barth Camper

I am putting this blog  together to document the repairs and updates on a vintage Barth aluminum pickup slide-in camper.

I bought this camper for $425.  The main reason I bought it was because it has aluminum framing as well as siding.  So I knew the core of the camper was good.

It did have some rotten plywood in the back, due to a roof leak.  The water pooled in the back and rotted out the floor.  There were squirrels living in the ceiling and mice.

The exterior was in pretty good shape.

I bought the camper from a fellow an hour north of me in central Connecticut.  He bought it from a backyard in Massachusetts.  Like me the previous owner wanted to restore it, but felt he had too many project.  It might be he found out that it needed some work on the jack support--which will require taking the entire interior apart.  I was hoping to use it without all that, but now it seems I'm wrong and will have to beef up the jack supports.

Here is the condition of the camper as the previous owner found it.

In my next post I'll show it as it looked when I picked it up, and following posts will document my efforts to restore it.





No comments:

Post a Comment